New Tracks Tuesday - June 30, 2015

Wow, I wanted to review so many of this week's new releases! I originally had a short-list of 10, but pared it down a bit. Here are my thoughts for the week!

“Liquor” – Chris Brown
I initially felt like I was going to need a drink to get through this track. Unfortunately, I don’t think gin and juice is going to make this song sound any better to me. Is Chris Brown ill? Because in “Liquor”, he sounds like an under-the-weather adolescent whose vocal chords are coated with egg yolk. Though the unnatural and uncomfortable auto-tuned vibrato lends to the idea of being tipsy after a night out, we can’t blame the alcohol on this lame song. D+



“Simple Things” – Miguel
Though “Simple Things” popped up on the R&B radar last year, it appears as a bonus track on Miguel’s new album, Wildheart, and deserves some extra exposure. With its repetitious melody, this song is, as it says in the title, is simple. At the same time, though, it maintains a unique, subtle elegance through its timeless love-plea tone. Miguel’s smooth voice paired with the humming strums of electric guitar and swelling synths gives this song a dynamic pulse that positions itself as a standalone masterpiece. A



“Morning Sun” – Robin Thicke
Oh Lord. Help us. How do I describe this cookie cutter, reverse Barry White tune? Well, how’s this: You know those cheesy late-90’s romcoms, where the guy and the girl are on their third date at the guy’s apartment for dinner? And after they eat by candlelight, the girls tip toes to the guy’s study and curiously peruses his book selection, while the guy sneakily pours two glasses of red wine, and puts on a mood setter song and dims the lights, then starts approaching the girl seductively with his wine, all while trying to be suave by shoulder dancing to the tune? Yea. That sleazy guy would put on this song. It’s cheesy. Skip it. C-



By the way, here’s what I meant by shoulder dancing.  


“Weight in Gold” – Gallant
“Weight in Gold” is what Robin Thicke wishes “Morning Sun” sounded like. The falsetto verses juxtaposed with powerhouse choruses and dramatic vocal breaks will make you want to run to your secret crush’s house and profess your love on his lawn! This song is a perfect example of soulful, modern R&B. I hope to hear more from Gallant very soon! A- (Not on YouTube yet; Available on Spotify)

“Eyes Shut” – Years & Years
This British trio has been performing this song for a little while, but it will finally appear on their debut studio album, Communion, next month (July 10)! The pleasing harmonies and indie feel makes you feel like you’re watching the closing scene of a dramatic episode of Grey’s Anatomy (P.S. Whoever chooses the sound track for that show better be getting paid big bucks, because he/she have done a FANTASTIC job!). Earworm of the Week, A



Too Cute Beyond Words: “Los Angeles” – the bird and the bee (Not on YouTube yet; Available on Spotify)

25 comments

  1. Definitely going to have to check out "Liquor" and the Robin Thicke medley. I just listened to "Eyes Shut." Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha that shoulder dancing made me giggle. That's my go to car dance move, thanks for some new songs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh em gee that meme is so hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i LOVE Simple Things.. That shoulder dance though.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off, I LOVE your giff!! HAHAHA SO funny!!! Second, I hate Chris Brown...just sayin. Third, I love the Grey's reference!! #loveit

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOooh...I'm always looking for new "work-out" songs. Great list. I'll have to give these a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great songs for the week! Get your drink on with that first one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice reviews. Going to check out the Eyes Shut one. It will probably sound familiar since I'm a Grey's fan...although I still can't bring myself to watch without McDreamy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so funny - I like how you rated each one and gave them a grade. That shoulder dancing is cheesy for real!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the Eyes Shut! But other than that I haven't heard of any of these yet. Thanks for the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a fun post, I love how you do the ratings! I LOVE Simplethings. It's one of my songs I put on replay sometimes and just sing along. So great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay...I could see all this songs going on my iPod...except Miguel's song (because it's already on my iPod) and that Robin Thicke song! Thanks for the new music...and great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice reviews! I completely agree with your thoughts on Liqour...not his best. At all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great picks! I'm currently listening to all these too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eye Shur sound beautiful!!!

    Gema from Belovedgems.org

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have a good ear for music. Personally, Chris Brown's music has sucked along with Robin Thicke's (since the split). I really like Robin's older songs. I think Miguelle's song sounds similar to his very first hit single.I do not have spotify, but I will be on the lookout for the song "weight in gold" and I think "Eyes Shut" is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is just so funny! I am not a Chris Brown fan. But that my friend, was hilarious. I am also not a Robin Thicke fan either. But how you described their music is how I always feel about their music. I miss the classics. Or I am just getting old.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kristen Wiig and shoulder dancing... LOL! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really enjoyed your reviews - they were honest and funny at times :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Not a big fan of Chris Brown or Robin Thicke....Love love love Years & Years!!! I'm a sucker for slow songs like Eyes Shut! Loved reading your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great reviews - definitely some new music that I should listen to more often. I love being introduced to great artists that I wouldn't normally listen to. :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have never heard of any of these ;) Clearly I'm behind the times a little!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have never heard of any of these ;) Clearly I'm behind the times a little!

    ReplyDelete