New Tracks Tuesday

Welcome to the inaugural New Tracks Tuesday. I recap what you need to know about this week's new music releases!

“Good For You” – Selena Gomez
Selena Gomez is back! Not sure if that’s “good for you”, but she’s back! Despite what the title of her new single may say, “Good For You” is one to skip out on. Simply stated, it is a B-version knockoff of a Lana Del Rey song. Here’s how I can spot a faux-LDR tune from a mile away: 1.) Mention of a cute little dress, 2.) The use of the phrase “real nice” multiple times. LDR is the queen of “real nice.” Don’t rip her off. 3.) Last, but NOT least, pronouncing the word “good” as “geww-yuhd.” You can practically see SG trying to imitate LDR's famous duck lips when you hear her say “good.” C

“Vintage” – High Drive Heart
It is extremely difficult to make an original love song, nowadays. Despite this fact, I have the utmost admiration and respect for artists and groups who write a SIMPLE message but present it in an original way. They take a cookie cutter love song what we’ve heard before, but lay it out in an incredible arrangement. High Drive Heart’s “Vintage” is a mixture of the harmonies found in Pitch Perfect, Americana banjos, and a dash of rap. If you’re looking for a fun song for the summer, look no further. Earworm of the Week, A-

“E-MO-TION” – Carly Rae Jepson
“E-MO-TION” was selected as a promo single for Carly Rae Jepson’s upcoming album. Unfortunately, the song did bring a rise of any emotions out of me. Voice-filtering is a bit heavy-handed. With lackluster lyrics like, “In your fantasy, dream about me”, “You and me in the dark right now”, and “This emotion, you feel it”, I wasn’t feeling it. Skip out on this forgettable track. C-

“I Was Made For You” – Tori Kelly (feat. Ed Sheeran)
Tori Kelly is one of the hottest up-and-coming artists this year. Her following is growing exponentially, and the reason is because her music is great! This duet ballad with Ed Sheeran is soft and understated, but grows with its crescendoing background choir (I have a soft spot for chorals). Basically, I would walk down the aisle to this song. Check it out immediately. A

“No Sleeep” – Janet Jackson
Like SG, Janet is BACK! Where has she been???? So pumped and excited for her new album that’s coming out later this year. Anyways, “No Sleeep” is admittedly a sleepy song, but it’s not bad. I feel like if I was a bit buzzed off a nice cabernet sauvignon in a classy, half empty, U Street bar on a rainy Thursday evening after work…I’d be down to slowly sway to this song, with my eyes closed, looking like a fool with my head titled back to the side. THAT’S what this song is like. I give it this week’s Could Grow On Me award. B

Too Cute Beyond Words: “Biscuits” – Kacey Musgraves

20 comments

  1. I love the songs you list. Selena Gomez is one of my favorite to get the day started! I'll have to check her new song out.

    I see you are in DC- I just moved from there about a year ago after being there for 6+ years. I miss it every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you'll be able to visit again soon! I've lived in the DMV area all my life! Wouldn't have it any other way :)

      Delete
  2. Selena & Carly are my favorite female artist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love me some Janet! I was siked to find out of her new song via YOU...I had to listen to it and I agree with you. In fact, I agree with you on every song. I also think Tori Kelly may just be the next big thing. I love her genre of music...it is not too popish and it has a little soul in it, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess, Tori DEFINITELY has some soul. And I do think she's the next big thing. The music industry, sad to say, is very manufactured and superficially constructed, SO I can tell that they are prepping her to be big because of her collaboration with Ed Sheeran. They wouldn't pair just anyone with him. Be on the look out for her! She's going to blow up this year! Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  4. I'll have to check out "vintage and "I was made for you" Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, I listened to "I Was Made For You" on my way to work this morning. I HAVE to get married to this song! :P

      Delete
  5. I'm always so out of touch with new music! Thanks for the playlist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out Spotify! They spotlight new music every week. I live and die by their new weekly playlists! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  6. I haven't heard of any of these, I will have to check them out. I feel like all I ever do is watch Netflix and listen to the music on my iPhone, which dates back to Backstreet Boys (not that there is anything wrong with that!) I need to touch up on my music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spotify makes it so easy! Every Tuesday, they have a playlist with all of the new music for the week. It's nice to catch up and see who's releasing what!

      Delete
  7. I need to check out that Janet song! I'm just as shocked as you are that she's back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice! Sadly, I haven't heard all of these! Off to check them out now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think! I'm interested to see if people will agree with my reviews! :)

      Delete
  9. I love Selena!! and I love the list, Ill definitely give them all a listen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely going to have to check these out! I love song recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will have to check these out! The only thing I am bummed about is that you didn't like Selena's new song! Selena is my cousin. :) ha! I'm excited to hear the song featuring Ed Sheeran...I'm a big fan of his!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cannot wait for Janet's new album! Not sure about No Sleeep (what's with the weird spelling, I wonder, btw?) but I'm still excited regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. where has Janet been? I saw her in concert literally like 25 years ago - haven't heard here new song yet :)

    for some reason Selena bugs me - lol

    ReplyDelete