New Tracks Exclusive: Monks of Mellonwah

Look here, I was able to get my hands on some highly anticipated, new music from an up-and-coming Australian band named Monks of Mellonwah! You may know them from the critical praise theyve received these past few years from the LA Music Awards and AIM Awards, in addition to their US tour they completed last year! I received an advance copy of their new EP Disconnect (out next month) and I HAD to share my thoughts and feelings!

Overall, I really enjoyed this band! The vocals are smooth and pleasant, and the alternative, indie vibe is guaranteed to get you in a ‘lax mood.

In “Even When It Burns” and “Show Me Something More,” you really get a sense of their influencers, such as bands like Coldplay and Muse. Their sound is modern, but still sticks to a classic rock root, which is an attribute that everyone should be looking for when exploring new rock bands. The instrumentals are absolutely outstanding on every track, especially in “Show Me Something More.” The Coldplay-esqe piano accompaniment knocks it out of the park! But where they really shine instrumentally is in the short “Interlude.” To say their musical talent is impressive would be an understatement. These guys know what they’re doing, and I’m glad they took the quick 45 seconds to spotlight and show off how they can combine alternative rock and classical music into one flow. Another sign of a great band is that they are able to convey their message through their instruments, and not rely on lyrics alone. In “Disconnect”, the instrumentals will move you with an innate sense of sentimental emotion. Also, can I just say that I’m absolutely in love with the bass-work they do, especially in “Never Been Good”! That song’s bassline got me moving in an instant.

When it comes to vocals, lead singer Vikram Kaushik is strongest when he stays within mid-range or falsetto, like in “Show Me Something More.” Sadly, anything in-between comes off a bit nasally. But overall, Monks of Mellonwah have got some great hits on their hands! When I heard the lyric “the end is coming” in “Feel It Coming”, all I thought about was how much I didn’t want this EP to end! B


Pros:
-Strong instrumentals
-Powerful lyrics
-Outstanding example of an alternative rock band

Con:
-Lead singer should stick with mid-range or falsetto vocals

Earworms: “Disconnect” and “Show Me Something More”

P.S. Make sure to follow them on Facebook and Twitter for their latest tour, music, and album news! You will want to keep an eye on them. Trust me!

13 comments

  1. Thanks for sharing them with us! here I go again living under a rock and never heard of them until now. I will def check them out though!! I love that you said a pro is powerful lyrics, i love songs like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Jessca^ I totally live under a rock, but I'll definitely be checking these out!! Xo
    Chelsea // trendychelsea.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing Dayne! We can always count on your for new and upcoming great music :)

    www.pearlsandpolksdots.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a band that I'm going to want to listen to. Thanks for sharing. Love New Tracks Tuesday as always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome. I love this. New music to listen to while i work! I'm addicted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing. I've really been getting into Indie Alt music a lot recently!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like an awesome band. Thanks for sharing new music.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I like this song! It oddly makes me want to workout. I always enjoy your music selections and reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always looking for new music. Will have to give the Monks of Mellonwah a try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for turning me on to this new to me band! I love them!
    Cynthia @craftoflaughter

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how passionate you are when you talk about music! Never heard of them but I'm all for checking out new bands (:

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! I am going to definitely check them out! I am a coldplay and muse fan.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahhhh glad to see I'm not the only one living under a rock hehe.... No clue who this group is but I will totally be checking them out! I need some new tunes in my life ;-)

    ReplyDelete