New Tracks Tuesday - July 14, 2015

I have no idea how I had time to listen to new music, because Taylor Swift’s albums have been playing in my car NON-STOP! Oh, by the way, going to Taylor Swift tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyways, here are the best (and not-so-best) tracks of the week! Enjoy!

SPECIAL FEATURE

Nostalgia – Roland Champaine
As I mentioned last week on Twitter, I had the pleasure of stumbling upon a new earworm that I CANNOT stop listening to! Roland Champaine is easily my new R&B favorite! He’s a fresh artist born and bred in Texas, and he’s just released an immaculate mixtape, Nostalgia. Champaine’s sounds are undeniably reminiscent of Luke James and the music found on Fox’s Empire, with the important exception that Champaine’s rhythms and melodies are far more soulful and pleasing to the ear. Through the combination of his versatile tenor pitch and crystal clear vibrato, you will really feel and believe the emotions that he sings about. Whether he’s belting out about heartbreak, love, or lust, you are right there with him for the ride. To say that he’s one to look out for would be an understatement. Roland Champaine’s musical style is the definition of avant garde and will keep you on your toes. I’d highly recommend to keep your eyes peeled for this one. This is so cliché to say, but it’s true: I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot more of him very soon. Make sure to follow him on Twitter to keep up with his journey. And check out his whole mixtape below! A

Earworms from Nostalgia:
-“P.W.M.H.” ft. Mike Todd
-“Breathe”
-“Be There” ft. 5ive



“Finna Get Loose” – Diddy (feat. Pharrell Williams)
Oh boy…It’s sad to go from an amazing mixtape like Nostalgia to reviewing this crumbling cookie cutter song that is just terrible. Diddy’s new track begins and ends with the sounds of heavy breathing. Don’t be fooled, that’s actually me sighing impatiently, waiting for the song to end. This song sounds like Diddy threw together some sneezes and coughs, while suspiciously sounding similar to Nelly’s “Hot in Herre.” I will end my review right there. D



“Seventeen” – Sjowgren
I found Sjowgren unexpectedly on Spotify. Little is known about this group so far. But what I do know is that this San Francisco-based trio is HOT (musically that is)! I fell in love with “Seventeen” right from the first few piano chords that they begin this amazing song with. With their quick tempo basslines and relentless, angelic harmonies, I just want to speed down an empty highway at dusk, windows down and feel the wind in my hair! (That’s the second cliché I’ve used today…Gotta stop!) “Seventeen” ends with some equally spaced-out claps. That’s actually me clapping for an encore of this fantastic group and tune! If you love them like I do, follow them on Twitter!



“Handcuffs” – Prince Royce
I fell in love with this Bronx cutie when I first saw him as a judge on La voz kids! And I’m excited to see him open for Ariana Grande’s concert next week at the Verizon Center! Though the lyrics of “Handcuffs” consist of cheesy pop, the beat and understated R&B/electronic flow keeps you going. The song deals with being grateful for finding someone who lets you be free. Well, I’m grateful that PR released this new track! B



“Locked Away” – R. City
When I first heard this song, the first thing I said was, “Wow, this sounds like Adam Levine!” I’m an idiot. It is Adam Levine featured in this get-your-hips-moving-in-your-desk-chair reggae track. With its message of loving despite flaws and its beautiful shouts, there’s a reason why this Saint Thomas producing pair has worked with Beyonce, Rihanna, Miley, and other top artists in the world! Check this out. B+



“Weathered” – Jack Garratt
I am a sucker for echo-y monk-like chants and swelling hums. I’m also a sucker for lyrics that preach the innate youthfulness found in love, even as one grows older. With its hot breaks, sick beat, and the choral harmonies (LOVE IT), Jack Garratt’s “Weathered” deservedly receives my Earworm of the Week, A+



Too Cute Beyond Words: “Without” – Years & Years

16 comments

  1. I feel like I live under a rock, I haven't heard any of these or if I have I had no idea who sang it or what it was called. Thank you for sharing and expanding my horizon .. Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check them out Jessica! (Except Diddy's........it was awful!).

      Delete
  2. This sure is a great list! I haven't heard any of them before...so glad you shared the list :). I will remember to skip Diddy ......or maybe not, gotta hear how terrible it is.......lol.
    http://denimsanddresses.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Riya! And yes....I kept the clip up there so you can see for yourself.....Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I really need to expand my music. I've never heard of any of those. Ugh, and my inner teen girl is swooning right now over the fact that you are going to Taylor Swift's concert tonight. JEALOUS!!! Enjoy the show - I'm sure it's going to be ahhmazing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Check in on Periscope tonight to watch!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for all the new music .Love your reviews! Have fun tonight!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! I'm always stuck in public transit, so I'm always (really, always) looking for new music! Thanks for introducing me to Roland Champaine! It was love at first listen :)
    Alessandra | blog.pumpup.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet! Make sure to tweet him! I'm sure he'll be happy to hear it! Enjoy!!! :D

      Delete
  6. Being Dominican myself ... Prince Royce is always in our bachata list. Now that he expanded to Latin/Pop I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite song right now is Somethin' Bad by Miranda Lambert feat. Carrie Underwood!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO JEALOUS!! Have an amazing time at TSwift!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! I love when you post your list of new tracks! I've discovered a lot of great work out songs here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're at Taylor Swift RIGHT NOW!!! I hope you're having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Don’t be fooled, that’s actually me sighing impatiently, waiting for the song to end." hahahahahah favorite part.

    Stephanie @ thedishbcs.com

    ReplyDelete