Ariana Grande's The Honeymoon Tour Review (a.k.a. Taylor just got beat...)

Whoa! It has been a WHILE since I posted on The Daily Dayne! So sorry guy! This past week has been crazy with concerts, work, and Bloodline. J But right now, I HAVE to fill you in on the Ariana Grande concert. I’m going to skip out on reviewing Nicki Minaj for now. I have too many conflicting feelings about the show that I still need to figure out. But when I do, I’ll give you a recap.

Last Saturday night, I got to see Ariana Grande perform at the Verizon Center. Many people have asked me, “How was she compared to Taylor???!!” Well, that is a very complicated question to answer. Taylor and Ariana are two completely different artists. But I’ve thought really hard about this, and I have made a conclusions as to who had a better concert/experience….

Okay, the thing with Taylor is that she writes her own music. There is emotion behind her music; an emotion that I connect to. When Taylor sings, I can feel her personal experiences through her music. I believe that she has gone through the experiences that she sings about. Does she have the best voice? No. Was the production value of her show on point? No. But it was an outdoor, stadium show, and there’s only so much you can do.

The thing Ariana is that her voice is BANGIN’!!!! There is emotion in her music, but it’s mostly emotion that I place into it from my life experiences. Though she is a credited writer on most of her music, I just don’t feel that she has gone through what she sings about. Maybe I’m wrong, but as an audience member, that’s what I felt. BUT…Does she have the best voice? YES. Was the production value of her show on point? YES! So…I have to give it to Ariana. Though Tay and Ari are apples and oranges, Ariana Grande had the better show, in my mind. Taylor will always be #1 in my heart, but Ariana absoLUTely killed it!

Prince Royce was the opener for Ariana’s The Honeymoon Tour. I don’t have strong feelings either way for him. He is 100% an Enrique wannabe, who couldn’t even manage to retain the attention of half of the arena. At one point he said during his set, “I see you all sitting down! C’mon, get on your feet!” It was a very awkward and desperate moment on his part. By the end, he ripped off his shirt, hoping to get fans on their feet for his farewell song. I have to admit…the view was better than the song. 

After PR, Ariana came out strong with a BANG! More like a “Bang Bang”, which is what she opened with. The AG/Jessie J/Nicki Minaj collab favorite was JUST what the Verizon Center needed to get the party started! With fireworks, dancers popping up from under the stage at the command of Ariana’s flick-of-the-wrist, and Ariana’s thigh-high Louboutin boots, the show was underway full-force!



There was one thing that was a little off-putting about her show. She kept disappearing after almost EVERY song. I would be okay with that, given that most disappearances precede a major costume change. These disappearances did not. Half of the time, she would disappear and then reappear 30 seconds later on another part of the stage…But no matter. I still screamed anyways, fangirling like no other. 

Some of her disappearances did render some pretty awesome reentries. The top two moments were when she entered from the ceiling on top of a floating cloud and, later on in the show, on top of a grandiose chandelier. Absolutely breathtaking! The chandelier was a highlight moment. That was during the roaring-20s part of the show. Once again, another reason I love AG. She has an appreciation for her predecessors and musical influencers. It’s easy for artists to turn their stage into a 20s-style, hopping bar, but it’s not easy for them convey the nuances of the era. AG knows her stuff. She appreciates the past and wants to share that love with her audience. This was clearly evident when she performed and impromptu mashup of Chaka Khan’s “I’m Every Woman” and Madonna’s “Vogue.” Maybe I’m underestimating the audience, but I would not assume that an arena filled to the brim with tween girls would know who Chaka Khan is…But Ariana doesn’t care! She wants to educate and share her inspirations with these young kids, and I LOVE THAT! Such a genuine move on her part. 




Another genuine moment was her tribute to her late-grandfather. She disappeared beneath the stage, while a piece of audio played of her grandfather giving her life advice, accompanied by massive subtitles of the conversation on the jumbo-trons. She reappeared on stage with a flowing diamond studded dress, sitting on top of a pearly white piano, singing “My Everything.” It was a struggle to keep my eyes dry during that moment. So moving. 

I could go on and on about this show forever, but I have to check myself. I know it’s not fun reading a wordy and babbling blog post, so I’ll start to wrap up. Here was the set list from Saturday night:


1.       “Bang Bang”

2.       “Hands On Me”

3.       “Best Mistake”

4.       “Break Your Heart Right Back”


6.       “Be My Baby”

7.       “Right There”

8.       “The Way”

9.       “Pink Champagne”

10.   “Tattooed Heart”

11.   “One Last Time”

12.   “Why Try”

13.   “My Everything”

14.   “Just a Little Bit of Your Heart”

15.   Love Me Harder”

16.   “All My Love”


18.   “Break Free”

19.   “Problem” 


All in all, such a GREAT show! I didn’t want it to end! She wrapped up the show with an encore performance of “Problem.” The only problem I had was that the show had to finish! I wanted more!!!! Anyways, thanks for reading! Have you gone to any concerts this year/summer? Planning on any concerts soon? Let me know!





22 comments

  1. Love the recap! You keep going to great concerts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to go educate myself on Ariana's music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will be doing yourself a favor! :)

      Delete
  3. I love how detailed the recap was. I am happy you had a great time. I cannot wait to here about the Nicki Minaj concert and what you did NOT like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lord, Jess.......so conflicted! I will let you all know soon!

      Delete
  4. Love her! Wish I could see her in concert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe next time around! She was fantastic!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the recap! You are having quite the eventful summer (compared to me...I haven't been to any summer concerts yet :( )

    Thanks for the recap!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe there are some free outdoor concerts in your area you can catch before summer's over??

      Delete
  6. Wow!! You are very eventful this summer full of concerts and such. Sounds like an amazing concert but I'm not sure I could get past what she said about America even if she did come out and say sorry. But that's just how I feel about her.. plus I think I am a bigger Tay fan than her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jessica! Yes, my summers are always filled with concerts! And I hear what you're saying about her comment on "America." But I don't take that stuff too seriously. Everyday, as human beings, we say outlandish things, whether it be honest, sarcastic, in public, between friends and family in private, to colleagues in hushed whispers, and even to ourselves. If you were a public figure and those comments were broadcasted to the whole world and people took it seriously, you'd be crucified! Bottom line, yes, it was a stupid and silly thing to say, and she should have known better than to say it, even jokingly, especially when she is such a public persona. But at the same time, we've all said things that if were made public to everyone, we'd hurt or make people unhappy. Whoa! That comment went on too long! Anyways, thanks for stopping by, and I'm glad you're a fellow Swifty! :D

      Delete
  7. Love your blog! I like both of these artists a lot, but have to say I agree ...Taylor definitely feels everything she writes. I haven't had the chance yet to see her live, but hope to soon! Thanks for sharing, great post!

    Valerie
    Fashion and Travel

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely need to listen to more Ariana Grande music. She sounds amazingly talented. I love what I have heard of hers! What an awesome experience you got to have. Taylor & Ariana?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great recap! Such a amazing singer and she's so pretty! ~ Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  10. This review is fabulous! I completely agree with you that Ariana has a better voice than Taylor. I feel like Taylor is so much more likable than Ariana.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ariana seems like she's more fun as a person than Taylor so I would only assume that would show during a performance! Ariana comes off as crazy fun where Taylor comes off sweet and innocent....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome! She's the new Mariah. I agree, it's her voice not actually the "depth" of her music that makes her wildly marketable. Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't been to a concert in years. I wanna go so badly! It looks like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think she'd be really fun to see in concert, she seems to put on a good show and her music is catchy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I actually like Ariana's music (and voice) much more than I like Taylor's, despite the fact that she doesn't do as much songwriting as Taylor does. Great recap, and now I'm kind of bummed that I didn't get tickets!

    ReplyDelete