New Tracks Tuesday - August 4, 2015

This has been the most difficult week for me, because the new music I’ve been listening to is outstanding. It was so hard to decide on an Earworm of the Week, but as you’ll see below, I did. Make sure to check out all of these artists! They are simply AMAZING!

“By My Side”- Nick de la Hoyde
Seriously, when you hear the first beautiful, harmonic words of, “And it’s you”, you will be hooked on this new 20-year-old, Australian rapper. Unlike de la Hoyde’s contemporary, Iggy Azalea, this guy can not only rap, but he can sing beautifully! That is a warning sign for an INCREDIBLE artist that has the ability and potential to combine genres like a genius. He knows how to add just enough of artistic and tasteful auto-tune to really highlight his harmonies, while still maintaining perfect diction when he transitions into his raps. For a 20-year-old, his skillset is utterly impressive, and I can’t wait to see what’s in store for him in the future! B+




"Girls Your Age"- Transviolet
I heard this song a couple weeks ago, and it HASN’T STOPPED PLAYING IN MY CAR EVER SINCE! This is MAJOR EARWORM STATUS PEOPLE! I originally wanted to say that this song will really speak to young people, but honestly, it connect with ANYONE. “Girls Your Age” speaks to the natural, human desire to be wanted, and how we will look and search for love anywhere, and take it even when it’s not really there. The song speaks for itself when the lead singer coolly coos, “Don’t jump the gun. Live fast while you’re young, honey. Don’t go chasing love.” Simply said: Beautiful, beautiful song. A




“My Church”- Maren Morris (Check it out on Spotify)
First off, the only place I can find this song is on Spotify. I’m going to tell you straight out that it’s my Earworm of the Week, and it’s a tragedy that it’s not on Soundcloud or YouTube! This faux-country gospel song runs like a Dixie Chicks track, but blowing out the harmonies almost better than they ever have! The tongue-in-cheek song about a natural born sinner who finds it hard to find redemption, will slap a smile on your face and make you hit repeat when the last chord is played. If you have Spotify, CHECK IT OUT NOW! Maren Morris is the next big thing! I’m telling you! A+


“Fire and the Flood”- Vance Joy
Okay, so here’s a story for you. When I was at the Taylor Swift concert, everyone was chatting about how Vance Joy was going to be one of the three opening acts of her show. I had never heard of Vance Joy, and the first thing I asked was, “Who is she?” Well, as a result of threatening storm clouds over Nats Park, T. Swift decided to pull one of the acts so the show could start earlier. She pulled V.J., and I never got to hear any of Vance’s music, but I wasn’t devastated because I had no idea who that artist was. Fast-forward to me perusing new music on Spotify. I heard “Fire and the Flood”, and I said, “Did Mumford and Sons release a new track???” I looked down at the artist and saw the name “Vance Joy”! I was like, “What??? Vance is a guy??!!! And he’s this good?!?!?! Damn you TAYLOR FOR PULLING HIS ACT!!!!” Vance Joy is amazing and has a young, folk feel that will keep you listening to all of his songs. “Fire and the Flood”’s emotion builds with the music and lyrics, while Vance croons about a blooming, growing, and intertwining love between two people. The message is timeless, as is Vance. This is the first time I have been angry at Taylor Swift. I don’t know if I can forgive her… A




Too Cute Beyond Words: "Sippy Cup"- Melanie Martinez

18 comments

  1. I have never heard any of these songs! lol Will have to check them out! As a mom, all I seem to hear is Twinkle Twinkle little star. HAha. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Transviolet and Sippy Cup. I love coming here to listen to the music and read your commentary!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard any of these songs either. I guess I'm old... I'd say Vance is the one that meets my taste best here. Thanks for shring new music with me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This got me really excited to listen to some new music! I'll have to check it out once I get off work. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Van Joy!!! YES. Love that new song. It's been on repeat for me since it's been released!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darn Taylor Swift for pulling him. I haven't heard of the other artists, but your reviews are so good, I'm going to have to listen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darn Taylor Swift for pulling him. I haven't heard of the other artists, but your reviews are so good, I'm going to have to listen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always great picks! You feed my Tuesday track fix! I always plug in at work to these tracks that you choose :) thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think if I come here every Tuesday and download your recommendations my morning run's are going to go by a lot quicker. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fire and the Flood is a good song. I'd never heard of Sippy Cup but it is so catchy!
    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm jamming at work to these songs. Thanks for helping my work day go by just a bit faster!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a fairly new fan of your Tuesday picks, and I haven't been disappointed yet!!
    Cynthia @craftoflaughter

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a fan of Vance Joy. His voice is just ah-mazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your New Track Tuesday posts. I work at home so I am always looking for new music to keep me motivated. Going to listen to all of these now. And Whoa…I haven’t heard anything from Marren Morris in a while! I love her earlier stuff (Texas Country), so I am sure I will love this one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never heard of these! But I love finding new music. I have been looking to broaden my tastes. I mostly like country which I'm assuming you hate LOL but I also love a lot of pop and rock music.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing, Dayne. I need to try and compile a list of my fav's. Have a good one...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE that last song! She has such an interesting voice...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this series, Mister Pop culture! There is something about Transviolet and the song Sippy Cup....I love this type of music...haunting and dark to some degree. Love it!

    ReplyDelete